The Orléans-Cumberland Community Resource Centre (OCCRC) was founded in 1988 thanks to a group of volunteers.
Through the years, the contribution and dedication of volunteers have been key to the evolution of the OCCRC.
As an OCCRC volunteer, you can make a difference in the lives of many people. You also play a role in fulfilling the OCCRC’s mandate, you support its vision and you embody its values.
How to become an OCCRC volunteer
First step: Interview
- First, you have a job interview with the Volunteer Program Coordinator
- This discussion allows the Coordinator to find out about your interests and talents
- As the two of you talk, she is able to assess whether your interests and talents are compatible with current volunteer opportunities at the OCCRC
- She can also establish when you are available for volunteer work (hours and days of the week)
Subsequent steps if your interview was successful
- Mandatory police record check
- References to be provided
- Once a candidate is chosen and assigned to a job as a volunteer, he/she must be trained and he/she must attend an orientation session
- The volunteer must also be trained on the AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act)
- All volunteers must sign a form in relation to the Confidentiality Policy
Through their work, behaviour and involvement, volunteers must support the OCCRC’s mandate, vision and values.
Benefits of being a volunteer:
- Diversify your experience in the workplace
- Develop your skills
- Share your talents and expertise
- Meet people and make new friends
- Make your CV more attractive to potential employers
- Increased sense of self-worth by helping people
- Participation in fun and rewarding activities
- As a volunteer, you also get the opportunity to make a difference in your community
What do we offer to volunteer:
- Interesting tasks that can be completed on a flexible schedule (hours and dates)
- Support in a welcoming, stimulating and fulfilling environment
- Opportunities for orientation and training
- Opportunities to develop leadership skills
- Opportunity to make a significant contribution to your community
- Networking activities